This Week in Port Jervis History
On October 11, 1903 the second Barrett Bridge, named for a Pennsylvania judge, George Rodden Barrett, was destroyed during the “Great Pumpkin Flood”. The storm was given this name from the pumpkins that washed into the river from flooded fields. Five to ten inches of rain fell in the area causing major flooding along the Delaware. The first Barrett Bridge was destroyed in 1875 by an ice jam, while the first Erie Bridge upstream had been destroyed by an ice storm in 1870.
On October 14, 1697, the seven original white settlers to the area received their patent for 1200 acres of land near Port Jervis. They came from Kingston, New York along the Port Jervis Trough, settling at nearby “Pioneer Knoll” along Spring Brook.
On October 16, 1828, the canal boat “Orange Packet” made the first complete journey from Rondout to Honesdale on the recently built Delaware and Hudson Canal.
Canal in Port Jervis
Sketch of Pioneer's Knoll
The Second Barrett Bridge