The Delaware River through Port Jervis is a great place for recreation. Kayaking or floating this part of the river is a popular spring and summer activity. Visit West End Beach to cool off in the summer or relax by the river in Riverside Park. Walk along the river on the dike in Riverside Park or the McCarthy Riverside Walkway south of West End Beach any time of year. Go rafting, kayaking, canoeing or tubing on the Delaware River with Silver Canoe, Kittattinny Canoes, or Indian Head Canoes. Or rent a Megalodon Stand Up Paddleboard from Sawkill Creek Outfitters. Order A Paddler's Guide to Delaware River from Sparta Books.
The Erie Bridge
The Erie Railroad built two bridges at this location across the river to Matamoras. The first bridge to cross the Delaware in Port Jervis was the first Erie Bridge built in 1854. It was a covered wooden truss bridge that was built wide enough for the railroad and wagon traffic. The bridge was destroyed in an ice storm in 1870. A second iron railroad bridge was built on the foundations of the old Erie bridge in 1898. This bridge was only built for trains as the first Barrett Bridge had already been built downriver in 1872. The second Erie Bridge was washed away in 1904.
The Barrett Bridge
The first Barrett Bridge was built in 1872, two years after the first Erie Bridge was destroyed upstream. The bridge is named after a district judge from Pennsylvania, George Rodden Barrett. The first bridge was destroyed in 1875 by an ice jam. It was replaced in 1876, but that bridge was destroyed by the 1903 "Great Pumpkin Flood". A third Barrett Bridge was built in 1904. It was replaced in 1939 by the current bridge, which is also called the Mid-Delaware Bridge. From 1901 to 1922, tolls were collected on the bridge. A tollhouse was built on north side of the roadway on the east bank. The tollhouse was later incorporated into FloJean's restaurant.
Maghackamack Island is the first island downstream from the Barrett Bridge.
Peter's Ledge is the name of the exposed rocks in the river at Peter's Rift. It is named for Peter Kuykendall, for whom Point Peter is also named.
Just south of Peter's Ledge is Dubois Island, named for Catryntje Du Bois. A road in the Lincoln Park neighborhood also shares this name.
Cole's Island, named for William Cole, is the largest island in the city. William Cole is also the namesake of Mount William. The island has also been referred to as Marvin's Island, after Bill Marvin, a hermit who lived on the island during the Depression. Marvin was forcibly removed from the island during the 1936 flood. The planned Whitewater Park would use the section of the river between Riverside Park and Cole's Island.
Bill Marvin and his rescue from the flood of 1936
Carpenter's Point is named for Benjamin Carpenter, who operated a ferry here. Carpenter's Point is the southernmost point in Port Jervis and the lowest elevation. The point, where the Neversink and Delaware meet, is also the point where New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania meet at tri-state rock. Although there are thirty-eight points in the country where three states meet, this is one of the most accessible and scenic.